Monday, March 31, 2008

Mom here...

I can't believe that it's Monday - and I still miss those pug girls terribly!! I wish they were still here. Not because Sitka isn't enough for me - she's a handful sometimes, I can assure you. But ever since Sitka came into our lives, it has made me realize how much I love dogs, how much I had missed having one in my life for so long, and how much joy pets can bring to us. Sitka gives me way more than I could possibly give her - I just want her to be a happy dog. And the keyword there is dog, because that's what she is, first and foremost. All dogs should be able to play with that forbidden shoe, just once. They should be able to bury a bone out in the yard, just once. They should be taken for walks and released in a big open field, where there's no fear of them running out in front of a car or being stolen right out from under your nose, where they can run, run, run. And they should be allowed to sleep wherever they want to sleep, because more than likely that place will be snuggled up right next to their humans.

When my husband first said he wanted a pug, I kept thinking why. Even though I love all animals, some folks just don't think they're that cute. I wasn't completely sold on their cuteness, and could think of other breeds and/or mutts that were much cuter. But, then he brought her home, all 2.9 lbs. of her... and I was in love. I've taken care of her, trained her, pampered her, scolded her, walked her... she even knows certain words, like cheese (we can't even say that in the house - it has to be "dairy product"), do you want to go for a ride (or just "do you want to go"), treat, cookie, eat, hungry... yes, mostly food keywords, but she is a pug, right? She has given me laughs after I've had the most terrible day, with no one home to listen to me whine. She listens... and licks my face. How can you beat that?

Having those other pugs here made me realize what special little dogs they truly are. They are so people oriented... neither one of them could get enough of me, and honestly I couldn't get enough of them. I wanted to spend as much quality time with them as possible since their time here was so short. So, I fell in love with the breed even more. I saw how much Sitka enjoyed having someone to play with and run through the house, how exhausted she was yesterday and how whenever she was up, she would go to the crate in the bedroom where they slept, looking for her 2 friends.

I'm not sure how or why I got so attached to them. Maybe it's the mother inside of me that will never have children, I don't know. But, every time I look at their photos, I know how much I wish they were still here. I know they're going to be well taken care of at their rescue in VT and will eventually go to wonderful homes. Even so, I can't help but miss them. There's nothing like having a pug snort in your ear... trust me.

Sitka was bought from a small breeder - NOT a puppy mill, I was at this man's home, and he takes great care of all the pugs at his property. In fact, our vet said we had the "perfect pug". She opened my eyes to the world of animals who don't have homes and go through unspeakable things at the hands of humans. Whenever we DO get another pug, he/she will be a rescue, NOT from a breeder. There are too many out there that need loving homes.

No comments: